Friday, January 15, 2010

Don't Try This At Home

I enjoy and demand efficiency in all endeavors in my world. For the most part, it's "let's go or get off the train, people." The only person in my immediate family who truly understands this concept is my four-year-old boy wonder Luke. Luke loves to "go". His no-nonsense, get 'er done attitude warms my heart (most days). There is such a pure, un-tortured, unencumbered energy in everything he sets out to accomplish . . . and for the love of all that is holy, don't dare to get in his way.

In a recent conversation with his best buddy, Zach, Luke was appalled at the notion that we would ever need to "talk" and not "do". They were eating cereal and Zach commented that one of the pieces of cereal looked like an "N". Luke looked at him as if he had 4 heads and said "It's not a letter Zach, it's CEREAL".

When Luke had eye surgery a few months back and woke up in pain, he looked at his petrified nurse straight in the eye and said (with a growl in his throat) "I'm gonna CRUSH THIS PLACE!!!!"

When I used to (stubbornly) attempt to occupy Luke by telling him fairy tales and made-up stories, he finally got fed up with my silliness one day and said "Mom, I want something REAL!!!"

Luke displays such astounding efficiency in all things he attempts (and he attempts more than an average 10 humans in one day), it warms my heart, though he would be annoyed if I said as much. Michael and I have always marveled at his method and speed when descending the stairs. He has been doing it since he was 13 months old. It is something to behold. So, enjoy THE PERFECT DESCENT as Luke is off today to EAT some cereal, TERRIFY some nurses and do something and everything REAL!!!

2 comments:

momsharon said...

Luke is the purest soul I know...he brings a breath of pure freshness to my often muddled and always complicated life. Thank God for Wukey!

Lindsay said...

I, too, am always amazed at how fast he gets from upstaris to right by my side. It's the best when you walk through the door, hear some stomping feet and 2 seconds later....There's Luke with his bright smile to say hello.