Monday, January 18, 2010

Mad Men All Day Long


I am all about being a girl. "Girl?" you ask. Not the kind of girl associated with age, but the kind or girl that forever inhabits me and that is quintessentially female. While being "woman" is fine and good, it comes with all kinds of burdens and responsibilities. A woman loves, cries, works, wipes rear ends, evolves, runs a household, adapts, suffers. I have to be a woman all the live long day, but still there is my inner "girl" who is untouched by such maturities. Girl is good. To be female is profound. You know a woman who doesn't love her inner girl. She is overly sentimental, mushy, icky or she is bitter, cruel and crusty.

I would have loved to have lived when women had no rights (yup, I said it). In that environment, our wiles were valued, not devalued. Utilized, not criticized. Feminine wiles are hard to come by these days. We don't HAVE to sharpen these skills in our society, so we become lazy. We act like we have something to prove instead of just "being" the creatures we are intended to be (powerful, vital forces in this world).

So, every once in a while I come across an item that strikes this cord with me. Something that I need to have to remember and be reminded of the gifts I have been given in being a girl. This line of aprons does it. Incontestably feminine with an an air of "and you better like it." And with that, I give you THE PERFECT APRONS (could double as the perfect hostess gift, or present for anyone out of touch with their inner GIRL). Jessie Steele is a knower, that's all I know. There are so many to choose from, one for any and every GIRL on the planet.

http://www.jessiesteele.com/index.php (living)

ooooh, and don't forget the inspiration to this inspiration . .. . actual girls' aprons!

2 comments:

Suzanne Mosley said...

I love that both of our daughters' names are inspirational girl apron names....

momsharon said...

how did you get so wise? oh yeah, now i remember...you're my daughter! at least that's where your dad thinks you get all your best ideas! alas however i must admit, your brilliance is all your own.