Friday, January 22, 2010

Somethin' in the Way She . . . .Compliments



Some people have a way. A certain je ne sais quoi about them that draws you in. In their presence is a delicious place to be. To hear them laugh is a gift and altogether infectious. They feel much, love much and in turn suffer much. They bring so much fervor to every part of the world they touch. They have the ability to reach people on levels they didn't know existed. They SPARKLE. Let's be real, though, "some" people is being generous, "few" is much more accurate . . . .because in my estimation these attributes are brutally and utterly rare.
To have a sister that fits this description is glorious and pretty gosh-darn lucky. And I do and I am.
My sister Christina (referred to only as "Kiki" in our household, so she shall be called henceforth) is the loveliest, kindest, sharpest, funniest sister this side of the moon. She is a friend of premium, top-notch caliber. As and aunt to my kids, she is the bomb.com. (no, you may not have her contact info).
Kiki recently sent my oldest son, Gavin, a birthday card for his 10th birthday. She lived with us for a bit when Gavin was a baby and they fell deeply and madly in love, giving him the distinction of being one of her "people." This is an enviable title, believe you me. She has the uncanny ability to make this unsure child feel like King of the World.
Gavin's birthday card itself on the outside read "Guess what?" opened to read "Chicken butt!!!" This, in and of itself, is The Perfect Card For a 10-year-old Boy. But on the inside of the card, she wrote something that exemplifies the very essence of the aforementioned qualities she holds. She didn't say "Happy Birthday." She didn't say "I love you." Instead, she said what I reckon to be THE PERFECT COMPLIMENT. She said "Loving you makes me be a bigger person, Gav."

Take that, lame compliment givers and card writers alike!!!

2 comments:

momsharon said...

Truly, madly, deeply concurring through impossible-to-hold-back tears. Of gratitude. Because it is one of the truest, purest gifts of life to know her.

kiki said...

i keep revisiting these words.. despite an intermittent suspicion that im being overindulgent. there is nothing, nothing better than my family. you are my people. and i would die for each and every one of you. cue the robin hood theme song by bryan adams..